Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Podcasting

Alas, I have to start a brand new blog since the site I had been using is no longer available. At least, it's not free anymore. And free is very nice!

What fun it was to share wikis and blogs with some of our faculty members a few weeks ago. Since the old blog had that information and is no longer active, let me just remind you that the links are all available on our little test wiki. Feel free to play with that wiki yourself, or better still, create your own. Pbwiki is a great place to get started. We have an active group of teachers already using the site to share teaching strategies!

Some of our teachers will be learning a bit about podcasting later this week. I'm wanting to post a few words of welcome here.. It helps, I think, to be able to hear what other educators are doing with podcasting in support of their students. So...take a look at these sites:

http://www.podcast.net/show/41190 On this site, you will find several examples of podcasting by students, with a range of ages involved.

http://dreamextreme.us/ Click on the "classroom podcast" link to hear what these 6th grade Oregon students are doing.

http://bobsprankle.com/blog/C1697218367/index.html These are Bob Sprankle's students, 3rd and 4th grade, I think. They are regular podcasters and though their podcasts can take a bit of time to open, they are worth the effort.

Podcasts do require software, so you might consider the free audio recording/editing program called WavePad. All you need is the free, basic program. While you will be offered 4 enhancements at the end of the installation, these are only trials and eventually, if you wished to keep them, you would need to pay for them. To get started, do not select those programs. You can always go back to get them later if you like.

Basic instructions for creating a podcast using WavePad are available online.
Time is limited but ideas are not. I'd love to believe that our teachers will be represented in this list in the not too distant future. Welcome to the world of podcasting.

2 comments:

Tadge said...

YEAH! I am going to check into the idea you had. The site that you mentioned is using a pay service to do what they are doing. Looking at it quickly it seems that they are adding hosting of files also. I will see if there is something else out there that will work. Also I had an interesting conversation with Cindy Gorley about these things today. I will send you an email about what was talked about and some other neat things that I saw tonight on the web. (I agree the wireless thing is curse disguised as a blessing:)

Tadge

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information. The basic instructions are useful and I got great ideas from your links to podcasts. I teach 4th grade in Missouri and intend to use podcasting to encourage my students to write news stories and to speak clearly.